As the trend of contractors joining certified applicator networks grow, many companies are boasting about their certification process and network of applicators. Not all networks are the same though, and contractors should carefully consider a few factors before agreeing to partner with manufacturers.
So what makes a mutually beneficial program in which manufacturers and contractors BOTH benefit?
Epoxytec, a coatings manufacturer with over 30 years’ of experience in the rehabilitation industry, has been using a successful certification process for over a decade, and they have compiled a list of the top five considerations manufacturers should contemplate before joining any certification network.
- Support: What kind of pre-bid/pre-job consultation will your company receive to ensure success? The bid process is a large factor in driving business for contractors. Manufacturers that are experienced in this process can be a huge asset. Look for companies that will assist and enhance your current business model by providing bid submittal guidance and preparation.
- Ongoing Training: You want to look for a company that will continue to provide necessary support. It is customary for manufacturers to provide initial training during the certification process; however, it is equally important that the training continues as needed. On-site technical support is often needed. You want a manufacturer that is willing to continue providing support even after the initial training.
- Warranties: While not all manufacturers offer warranties, this is an important question to ask.
Warranties are extremely valuable; having one will place your company among a select few that are eligible to bid when a warranty is required. This will give your company a competitive advantage.
- Exclusivity: Epoxytec does not require exclusivity, and it is unique in that manner. Many certification programs require you to use only their products. You want to weigh the pros and cons before choosing to go with a company that requires exclusivity.
- Partnership: This is by far the most important consideration. Your company should benefit from having a manufacturer-backed support system with co-marketing and technical support that will allow contractors to successfully install, inspect, repair, and deliver success backed with quality products.
Partnering with a manufacturer requires commitment. By doing so, you are making a decision to work with a company that will value your business and provide guidance and assistance as needed. To learn more about what a good Certified Network looks like, visit epoxytec.com or call 1.800.GO.EPOXY.